Monday, October 8, 2012

October Update


Wow it has been way too long since I have done an update. Lots of great things happening over here on the other side of the world! We got the secondary school off the ground, and had our opening ceremony last week. The parents came to the school and found happy and content students, who have already built a community together. The students sang “With Everything” by Hillsong United, IN ENGLISH I might add. Granted, some did not know the words they were singing. But it was a great moment that they got to experience with their parents. I am proud of all the teachers, staff, and volunteers that put this together, because it was A LOT of work.


I am currently leading worship for chapel at the school on Sundays. In 2 words, challenging and rewarding. The students are very rigorously learning English, but obviously there is a language barrier. Each Sunday it gets a little easier and they sing a little louder, and I still sweat the same amount. HA. Our volunteers there are putting together a worship team as well, so soon this will be another all new experience that I can’t wait for. It keeps me humble, that’s for sure. We have had the privilege of having amazing volunteers from the US and UK lately, and they have been a HUGE help in every department, including worship. I have learned a lot about a lot from them. Looking forward to learning much more before they go.


I am excited to inform all of you that I now have all the money I need for my second plane ticket, leaving the states late December 2012 to return to Burundi until May 2013. Talk about God's favor. The money came in just in time. I am still in need of monthly support following Christmas break. I currently have many people supporting me monthly, and I am so grateful for those of you doing so, and for those of you that are praying. It makes a huge difference. For those of you that would like to send support, you may do so through a couple of outlets.

1. Check by mail to Northpoint Church. In order to be eligible for tax deduction, please mark simply "Burundi Missions" on the memo line. If you don't care about that stuff, my name on the memo line will do just fine. The funds will get to the right place. Please mail to:
Northpoint Church
1215a Industrial Drive
New Braunfels, TX 78130

2. The easiest way you can give is by going to the Northpoint Church website, www.thenpc.com. On the bottom right hand corner you will see a link that says "Online Giving". There you can designate the funds toward Burundi Missions. Shoot me an email to rachel.burundiyfc@gmail.com to let  me know!

This time in Burundi has proven to be like nothing I have done before. I knew this would be the case, but it’s different once you live it and breathe it. It is more challenging than anything I have done- spiritually, mentally, emotionally, and physically. I spent the last 2 years learning that there will come a time when you won’t have church and other people’s spiritual walk to lean on-it will be you and God, and no one else. Well, this is that time. My faith is truly being tested. My anthem for this time-‘My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus’ blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame, but wholly trust in Jesus’ Name. When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace. In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil.’ Such an amazing anthem to sing, speak, repeat, write down, memorize. I face many challenges living here, as does anyone anywhere. A new challenge of loneliness, that can be quite constant. And this is why I choose to remember the words above. He is Lord of all. He will never leave me and He will never forsake me. This is a promise that He has given us. One that must be remembered in times of thanksgiving, in times of suffering, and in times of joy. So I choose to remember.




No comments:

Post a Comment